highland street inspiration

Yesterday I got a chance to catch up with my friend Gwen and was lucky enough to get a tour of her newest project-in-progress: new construction just outside of Boston that looks and feels antique—but better! You might remember her last project, a gut renovation and addition that I photographed and wrote about here after it was all done and decorated.


Who does new construction like this anymore? It's absolutely stunning, and a perfect fit for this neighborhood full of large older homes.


The porte cochere and carriage house are great exterior elements that add to the charm. (The carriage house is actually the only part of the property that is original, and is now undergoing renovations.)

But the best part was that when I walked into the kitchen, I was greeted with the kitchen I have been dreaming of—and planning! although, yes, on a much, much smaller scale!


Hello, taupe cabinets! This is my color scheme. And Shaker-style door too.


I am loving the softness of the cabinet color, even more than my choice. May have to switch, yet again.


How about those windows?



And because I couldn't stop taking photos, this is the family room off the kitchen, which leads down to the basement family room. Again, the size of the windows is just stunning. And the windows let in a ton of light downstairs too, which makes it really not feel like it's underground.


More windows! These rooms are going to be bright even on the darkest days. I seriously want to move in. And this home is only going to get better. Stay tuned for a real house tour when it's complete, sometime in June.

5 comments

Fran said...

Beautiful, Casey. I love those cabinets and windows. You can never have too many windows!! Gorgeous!

Ashley said...

This is my dream home. Can Gwen ask her clients if my husband and I can move in? I promise we'd be good roommates to the owners! :)

Kirsten Krason said...

I want to move into. I'm jealous of all that natural light.

The Vintique Object said...

Fantasic cabinet color. I love it!

And those windows. If we ever build a house, that's where ALL the money would go. Well a good chunk anyway.
Camille

Barbara@HausDesign said...

I love that approach - take the wonderful charm of an old home (not to mention blending it with the neighborhood) but getting all of the benefits of new, energy efficient, beautiful construction!