sophie conran for portmeirion

Since this is a week of feasting and entertaining, I could not ignore the topic. Thanksgiving turns everyone's attention to the table. And though I won't be home and hosting this year, it's still definitely on my mind.


When I was down in Pennsylvania last year and visited Terrain with my parents, my mom bought me a beautiful serving pitcher (that's also a measuring cup with gorgeous script on the inside) from Sophie Conran's tableware collection for Portmeirion. The mixing bowl above is amazing too. Have you seen these pieces?



I wouldn't mind completing the collection. It has a beautiful tactile feel and a totally classic, versatile look. You can dress it up for the most elegant dinner but it still feels relaxed enough for coffee and scones for breakfast or soup and a salad for lunch.


It's a little bit modern and a little bit country. The wavy organic lines make it feel like it just came off the potter's wheel.



 And yet the lines aren't haphazard. Instead they impart a grace and sophistication I adore.


Luckily I'm traveling this Thanksgiving and not hosting, so there's still time to replace my sad, stained and chipped dinnerware! So for next year, I'm envisioning my new dishes and bowls at home in settings like this. And bringing any of these moods into my home...

windsor smith

darryl carter

sarah richardson

domino

sandra morgen design

southern living

cottage living

5 comments

Shannon @ Project Shannon said...

Love that dinnerware. Gets me thinking about a couple gift ideas...hmmm.

René said...

Love it! And the rooms too. That first Windsor Smith room is perfection. Happy Thanksgiving!

Erin (Out on a Limb) said...

I'm a sucker for all-white dinnerware, but the texture the lines give the dishes give them that extra something. So pretty. Have a great Thanksgiving!

Unknown said...

That bowl is beautiful in it's simplicity, what a great gift!

Holly Gruszka said...

Isn't Terrain awesome?! My MIL lives down the street from there so it's a favorite of mine when we are visiting. Tons of inspiration. I love the simplicity of the Sophie Conran pieces. I was just looking at a plain white creamer and sugar set last night and thought about how simply pretty they are. Happy Thanksgiving to you!