window layering with bamboo and fabric, and my go-to sources

We all know that a little layering makes a room more interesting...and the same, I think, goes for windows. For the first layer on a window, I'm a huge fan of bamboo shades. They add instant texture and character and a casual feel that I adore. For part two of the effect, I like to soften up the hard bamboo with a fabric to bring color and contrast and sometimes pattern. Each layer looks great on its own, but together on a window, it adds up to more than the sum of its parts.

I've been doing this a lot, in my own home, with bamboo flanked by fabric panels.

in my living room

And in my client's home, with soft Roman shades over the bamboo.

sarah & anna's room

I can hardly claim to have been the first to wholeheartedly embrace this bamboo layering effect. Here are some favorites.

palmer weiss

lonny

And now, my go-to sources. I won't do any fabric treatment these days without Windows by Melissa. She did the raspberry roman shade in my client's girls' room above. Melissa's construction is excellent, her prices incredibly affordable, and she's such a fast worker and a delight to work with too. She's offering a special discount right now just for loft & cottage readers: take 15% curtain panels (ready made or custom) with code LCCURTAIN and take 10% off Roman shades with code LCROMAN. Make sure to use the correct code for curtains versus shades. Happy shopping!

As for bamboo shades, these rustique shades from Overstock are my go-to solution. Awesomely inexpensive but good quality, available in any specific width and length you could want for inside-mounting, simple to install, and great-looking. Highly recommended!

10 comments

Johanna said...

Could you use the Rustique on an outside mount--such as a french door? Thanks for the article--it came at the perfect time!

casey at loft and cottage said...

Hi Johanna, yes, you can definitely do an outside mount with these. Would look great on a French door!

Johanna said...

Thanks!! Off to purchase...

Holly Gruszka said...

Thanks for the source on your favorite bamboo shades. I've thought about using these in the past but was hesitant, but now I have a good recommendation and an affordable source.

Sarah said...

Hey! Awesome, thanks so much! I still haven't checked out bamboo shades for my dining room (to go with the linen panels that I moved in there from the living room), so I will take a look at those overstock ones. You rock!

Greg Eccles said...

Amazing selection of sizes for Rustique at Overstock. Can't wait till they show up. Thanks for the tip.

The Vintique Object said...

Hi Casey, I came back to look again. Do you mind telling me about the source for the fabric you used in the little girls' room chair?
Camille

René said...

Thanks for this link. What a great price - just sent a client there.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the resource recommendations!

Natty said...

I bought some yesterday at Home Depot for only $22 and they are GORGEOUS. Pairing it with linen drapes for an exotic look in my bedroom