easy custom curtain panels

Is saying "custom" just way too snobby? These are just DIY curtain panels, with a canvas dropcloth lining. After finally ordering the fabric I'd had my eye on forever, it just sat, again forever, in my office, until I made friends with my sewing machine. Now that these simple panels are sewn and hung, my room is of course prettier but also more private at night (those bamboo shades don't block everything) and dark and cozy in the morning (perfect for sleeping in).


To make these curtains as light-blocking as possible, I wanted to add a lining but didn't want to spend too much. I got the idea from Little Green Notebook to save money by using a canvas drop cloth for the lining. Brilliant.


My curtains were a little longer than standard—fnished length was about 95". The 9 x 12 size drop cloth, cut in half, was perfect for two panels. Here's a closeup of the lining.


Another post that was invaluable was Cottage and Vine's tutorial on the blind hem stitch. And though I don't think I actually accomplished the blind part of the hemming, it was nevertheless very helpful to this beginner for figuring out how to add the lining and cover all the raw edges.


To make these panels even simpler, I did not do any fancy header. I didn't make pleats or install grommets. I simply sewed a wider hem at the top and then just used clip rings to hang the panels.


So there you have it. Custom DIY curtains in a few hours—once you have all your materials and actually sit down to work, that is. I love the layers of colors in the room now. The walls are Benjamin Moore Palladian Blue, which in this north-facing room looks like a Tiffany box blue. I like the deep teal of the curtains against that, and then the sky blues and grass greens in the chair (another project to finish!) and the bit of kelly green lattice on the pillow. Nothing matches, and to me, that's just perfect.

8 comments

René said...

Love, love, love! That entire vignette is yummy!

-Rene

Tonia Lee Smith said...

Makes me want to buy a sewing machine and get to sewing.

Amanda said...

So pretty! I love that wall color. I might paint that one in my office. Good idea on using the drop cloths as a liner. I love drop cloths! Have a good day!

Carol@6WilsonBlog.com said...

These look great, Casey! And that chair -- totally fabulous!! Happy New Year...

Beth said...

wow, I LOVE this! I am dying to do a little DIY project like this - I think it's time to invest in a sewing machine. Thanks for the idea! : )

Fran said...

Casey, great job!!! So envious...would love to be doing some DIY projects around the home!

Tracey said...

Found you from cottage and vine...love the curtains! Have a great day!

Anonymous said...

They turned out so well!

Funny - I just posted today about my drop cloth curtains in my living room (also clipped to hang)...and I have valances in my kitchen out of the very same fabric as your curtains (except green). Great minds!