design challenge: my style in one picture


Today I'm stepping up to the challenge issued by Ally of the awesome blog From the Right Bank to find the one picture that sums up my design style. I spent way too much time searching last night for something that captures everything I love in design and while it's hard for any room to encompass everything I adore, this Cottage Living California idea house kitchen came the closest. Here's what it's got that I love love love:

*High contrast of whites against darks plus a big boost of one color
*Architectural detail: check out that amazing ceiling!
*Graphic patterns: rugs, tile
*Softness and texture: slipcovers, basket, a knit on the back of a chair
*Light! Love those big windows
*A little shine: stainless steel
*Natural materials: a woven basket, a wood bowl on the counter
*Open, breezy, stylish, laid back feel
*Oh, and don't forget good fresh food {maybe that's really why I love this room so much!}

So what's your design style? Could one picture sum you up?

9 comments

Splendid Willow said...

Found my way to your blog via the lovely Ally. I have never seen that kitchen image before, and I absolutely love it!!! I agree with everything you said + the kitchen has a good vibe and is unique. (Not the same old, same old).

Thank you for sharing. And happy weekend!

ox, Mon

Happy weekend, Mon

Erica @ Decorica said...

Yup, that's you! Even the sweater on the stool!

Nita Stacy said...

Oh....I remember seeing that kitchen in Cottage Living a few years ago (sniff, sniff, Cottage Living) I thought it was fabulous too! Great choice.

Arlene Grasman said...

I would really have to search high and low for a single picture that would capture my decor faves.
Your choice is amazing, love everything about it. I guess it depends on the mood :)
Arlenes latest blog Repurposed Life

Vanessa@decor happy said...

Love the ceiling too and the huge island.

Tonia Lee Smith said...

OOoo, that pantry. I love it!!!! following via FB, bloglovin and Google..stop by to see my pick for the challenge

Anonymous said...

I've never seen this kitchen before (love that) and I don't think it could be more perfect. I love that shade of green and that tile and those floors and that ceiling and . . . I could go on forever! Thanks so much for participating! It's really nice to discover your blog. Have a lovely weekend!

Fran said...

Love this kitchen too. Dark vs. white, graphic rugs and the open shelving w/white tableware! I need to get it on and try this challenge! My problem is I'm all over the place....maybe this w/e I'll have a go at it! Happy weekend!

Shannon @ What's Up Whimsy said...

What a beautiful kitchen!! That tile is gorgeous! And I love the chevron rugs!