take the decorating outside

It's getting truly wintery in the northeast, and those bright and colorful containers and window boxes dressing up the facades of neighborhood homes have long since faded. For fall, I usually fill my plant boxes with varieties of mums, asters, hardy grasses, cabbage or kale, and some mini pumpkins and gourds. The fall look is always a nice change from the vivid colors of summer, but by now even the fall plants have browned and crumpled from frost. So, it's time to redecorate the container garden out front, and as I do each winter, I'm struggling with how to make it fresh and unique and beautiful. Here's some inspiration, for you and me.

Love the evergreens spraying up and spilling over this window box. I could see this on anything from a ranch to cape to a bungalow to a row house. The next is similar with the use of evergreens, but a more formal, symmetrical display great for traditional home. It shows off a dwarf fir and cedar swag, with acorns and fruit (dried, I guess?) a nice addition.

I love the modern feel and simplicity of this display. Skinny branches lined up like a screen. Beautiful.

This look is very pretty, casual, a bit country, and still colorful for winter. I don't know what zone you'd have to be in for these to last. Not sure they'd make it through a Boston winter looking so good.

See anything that you like and that fits the style your house? I'll be going for something like the first design. Stay tuned for pics on how my window boxes turn out.

photos: bhg.com, mysweetsavannah.blogspot.com, apartmenttherapy.com, windowboxideas.blogspot.com

No comments